Jun 9, 2014

Don't Kill the Birthday Girl



Some bloggers and others in the allergy community have referred to "my" chemurgy, as if I am the only person connecting allergy concerns with the science of chemurgy. It is nice to see others make the connection. The main focus of Don't Kill the Birthday Girl is her stories of being an allergic girl with multiple food allergies from childhood to adulthood, mixed with science and her research of allergy and anaphylaxis.

I am currently reading Don't Kill the Birthday Girl Tales From an Allergic Life by Sandra Beasley. I've read a few allergy books in my day, and I'm enjoying this one more than most I've read. One thing I liked about this book is that it talks about Chemurgy in the book's chapter on King Soy and the Body Politic. Sandra Beasley in this Chapter mostly talks about the history of chemurgy, how George Washington Carver created both recipes and products from soy and peanuts. She also talks about Carvers shared interests and friendships with both Henry Ford and Harvey Kellogg, a topic I am very interested in see my Chemurgy Page and History Page for my research on this subject. For present day uses of chemurgy see my pages on Industrial and Household Items Made From Nuts and Industrial and Household Items Made From Soy

Another product from this book is Mortadella Portabella Sausage and that it contains pistachios. I added more meats with nuts to my list of Unusual Foods that Contain Nuts along with gums, honey, teas and mustard that contain nuts. The issue of eggs in rabbies vaccinescame up in the book, an issue I was not aware of till recently see my Prescriptions, Over-the-Counter Medications and Treatments Containing Egg

The book's stories reminds me of my own childhood memories, being different and also the allergic kid. Eating different foods, being different in school. Having different birthday cake from my own guests. Excitement over a new food, only ordering a drink at a restaurant all things I've gone through as an allergic kid now adult, and as a Mother of allergic child, have also faced. Her story of disliking a food and feeling that it was a luxury only others could afford, was something I cn relate to. Sandra Beasley also talks of empowing herself as she became responsible for her allergies, from teen issues, university, into adult relationships. Accidently ordering a shot that contained milk, then later in her book another drink she turns down with a secret ingredient, that turns out to be one of her allergies. See my list of alcohol products that contain nuts. Her story of faux pizza remined me of one of my own father's creations. She adds humor to her own stories being the allergic girl, mixed with science.

Visit Sandra Beasley's blog at Chicks Dig Poetry to learn more about her.

Full disclosure this is an unpaid unsolicited review, in fact I borrowed it from my city library! This book briefly discusses chemurgy and not the main point of the book, but I was impressed because it is one of the few that talks about the connection to allergy concerns, with the science of chemurgy. More on what Others Have to say about Non Food Items Made From Allergens

No comments:

Post a Comment